Child has persistent cough and cold. Prescribed cortimax. Is this medicine safe?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, my son is one year old and has a persistent cough and cold for the past about a month. It decreases and then again starts. I am worried took him to a doctor at Lucknow who has given him Cortimax. Is this right. Google search tells me that it is some kind of steriod. Also, my son wakes up shivering after every nap.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 20 minutes later
Yes the medicine is a steroid called deflazacort.
It is OK to use it under the following circumstances.

1 If you have seen a good pediatrician who prescribed it after examining his chest
2 If your son has wheezing and bronco spasm.
A brief course of steroids can be given for 3-5 days.

Reg the shivering,is he on levolin syrup,or asthalin syrup?
These drugs can cause some shivering of the body.

Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child has persistent cough and cold. Prescribed cortimax. Is this medicine safe? 34 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your response.

1) I am not sure if it is a good doctor. But he didnot even touch my son before this prescription.
2) i cant make out wheezing sound but his cough does sound heavy as though there is some congestion.
3)We used to give our son Levolin through nebulizer. But that must've been more than one month back.

The current doctor has suggested Cortimax with paracetamol and another syrup.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 17 minutes later
I am surprised!
Wheezing is heard by the doctors with the steth before it becomes audible to you.
Congestion is different from wheezing.
When there is wheezing or bronchospasm, short course of steroids can be given.
May be the present syrup also has something similar to levolin.( you can write the name and contents to me).
Otherwise you may have to check his serum calcium level,( why he should have shivering).
Discuss with the doctor or go for second opinion.
God bless
Good luck
Dr uma