Child has peanut allergies and asthma. How to deal with emergencies? What steps to take?

My child has peanut allergies and asthma he is going on school camp what information do you think i should give to those who care for him. How can I make sure in an emergency the first attender will know about my sons conditions and know what to do. I am very worried as he can escalate quickly and we need to be confident his info can be quickly available to first attender so they understand what they are dealing with and what to pass onto 911
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 36 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

You can arrange for a short medical record summary on a sheet of paper in the following format:

Diagnosis: Childhood Asthma with ALLERGY to peanuts.
Current medications:
1."-----please mention the name of the pump----- " metered dose inhaler - frequency- eg: twice a day .

"If you let me know the name of the pump then I can advise you whether the same pump can be used in emergency or not. (As there are two types of pumps- maintenance pumps and reliever pumps/ most of the times SMART therapy is also started -Single maintenance and reliever therapy)."

Drugs to be given in emergency:

1. Acute asthma attack (severe breathlessness/whistling sound):"Reliever..." pump.
2. In case of severe allergic reaction (sever rash/ fainting/ pale cold extremity/shock): Epipen shot on the outer thigh.

Triggers to be avoided/ precautions:

1. Before any exertional physical activity the pump shold be taken.
2. Avoid dusty weather/ extreme cold/ etc.
3. AVOID Peanuts.

In case of emergency call 911/ also give your phone number to be contacted in emergency.

You can explain and give this information to the in-charge of school camp.

Also if possible 3 to 4 weeks before the camp, you can get the annual influenza vaccination for your son from your physician.

Please remember the mainstay treatment of childhood asthma is "pumps" & allergen avoidance. The medications need to be optimized as per the symptoms so get 6 monthly regular checkups of your son from your physician.

Hope you son enjoys the camp and has a great time. Please do let me know if you have any more queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.