Child has partially blue arm. Could this be methemoglobinaemia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter has an arm that is partially blue, could this be methemoglobinemia?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

A persistent bluish discoloration of the arm since birth is not likely to be due to methemoglobinaemia.

Type 1 methemoglobinemia (erythrocyte reductase deficiency) can cause bluish coloring of the skin but it is generalized bluish coloration and is not localized to an arm or a single body part.

Arterial blood gases and pulse oximetry tests will help in diagnosing any blood disorder or oxygenation related abnormality.

Partial bluish discoloration of the arm can be due to thoracic outlet syndrome (usually associated with tingling and numbness of the arm), peripheral vascular disease, lymphedema, venous insufficiency, hypothermia, etc).

A direct examination and investigations like color Doppler study of the arm will help in exact diagnosis.

Please consult her physician for the necessary investigations and further treatment.

I hope this answers your query. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.