Ask a Urologist   »  

Child has painful urination with blood in it. What treatment should be done?

Excellent

Question
my daughter 2 yr and 2months old is urinating in drops,she is complaining of painful urination ...all this while it was clear now is turning slightly blood colored ...not red but like diluted blood

Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 56 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Painful urination and blood stained urine are certainly classical signs of a urinary infection.
Normally a urine sample should be collected, sent for a urine culture and for antibiotic sensitivity tests, then the child put on antibiotics and await results. During this period, giving lots of water and fluids to the child is advisable.
I suggest you visit the pediatrician for a proper clinical evaluation and the collection of a urine sample be done, at times through a suprapubic puncture if necessary.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Child has painful urination with blood in it. What treatment should be done? 9 hours later
she started having this since yesterday continued it through the night ...and is sleeping peacefully now ...i gave her some milk in her bottle ....is there any restrictions on food that i need to take and are there any foods that will make her feel better?i am going to the doctor at 2 in the afternoon today ...and she is taking fluids...

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 minutes later
Hi and thanks,
for now I XXXXXXX t think you need any restrictions. Feed her normally as usual as you go to see her pediatrician,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Child has painful urination with blood in it. What treatment should be done? 7 minutes later
Thank you for your help Doctor ,timely indeed,waiting to see her better .
If there is any home remedy that will help her feel better about the pain pls do mention ,she will get up any time now and i m worried i will see her in pain .

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 minutes later
Hi and thanks,
I suggest you just give her much fluid to drink. Think the pediatrician is certainly going to give her appropriate drugs. Most commonly used pain killers are not advised during this stage. XXXXXXX t be worried, think its gonna be cool.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.