Child has pain on knee, unable to straighten leg. No relief from motrin and tylenol. Concerned

Hi, My 3 year old VERY active boy (he is a twin, but I don't think this matters here) came home from preschool stating both his knees hurt because he ran fast on the playground. (Historically his causes to answers are not true ie I fell off of a chair, in the road, and got run over by a truck, so I am not sure this is when the pain began) He is limping a little and refuses to straighten out his left knee. He seems to only have pain when I straighten it out myself. ( I did not do it again) I gave him Motrin and Tylenol, no help really. He doesn't let it slow him down much but his brother doesn't slow down much when he broke his collar bone either so I don't use activity level as a gauge now. Should I be concerned? What could this be? Thank You, XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I can understand your concern.
Please give him a painkiller spray to the local area along with motrin.
Apply ice packs and give him rest.
Get an X XXXXXXX of the local area done.If there is no fracture...there is much to worry.The pain should subside in 3-4 days.It could be a sprain to that area.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Child has pain on knee, unable to straighten leg. No relief from motrin and tylenol. Concerned 7 hours later
You wrote "If there is no fracture...there is much to worry," I think you ment there is no need to worry but I want to clarify. Also what type of pain relief spray are you referring to?
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later
You are right...i meant if there is no fracture the injury is trivial and there is little reason to worry.
Diclofenac gel or spray will suffice.
Sorry for the typo.