Child has pain in palms, discomfort, tiredness

Orthopaedic Surgeon
good morning. my 14 year old son has a very odd problem...he's bothered by it all of a sudden this morning, but it happened last year too. The palms of his hands hurt...both hands. I looked at them and didn't see anything wrong this morning. The pain lasts throughout the day. The only factors that are different are 1.swim team has just started. is in session. Last year ...I thought a fungus (the hands were flaky looking) and I used athlete's foot seemed to help. When I say bothered, I mean to the extent that he made me felt we needed to go to the er...(yes, he was very tired and has a low pain tolerance too!) He's 14, 180 lbs and 6 ft. 1.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Sudden pain in the joints of the hands with no visible change and no history of trauma is likely to be due to arthritis.
The other causes can be calcium or vitamin D3 deficiency or psychological pain syndrome.
You can right now start him with mild pain killers like acetaminophen and if there is no improvement seen over next two days then you need to get a few blood tests done like serum calcium and vitamin D 3 levels, RA factor, ESR, CRP and X-ray of the hands to rule out the organic causes.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Child has pain in palms, discomfort, tiredness 5 hours later
Thank you for getting back to me...I put the same question on facebook and this came up....I gave him allergy early morning in band, his hands were not hurting...I don't know...we shall see. I don't think calcium, simply because he eats so much yogurt and takes a multi-vitamin...arthritis, maybe, but both times its happened during the school year. Nothing during the summer.

I had that as a child. Fingertips got so tender I couldn't do dishes (my chore) or touch anything hot or cold. Doc called it contact dermatitis but we never did find out what I would have been allergic too. There were periods I went to bed with salve on my hands and wore white gloves. Take him to a dermatologist?8 hours ago · LikeUnlike.Pam Leibensperger Thanks XXXXXXX .this actually sounds logical...I'm thinking all of a sudden allergic to the coating on the trombone that's wearing off, the cleaner we used to clean the silver on the drains at the pool...something he's touching7 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 XXXXXXX Moll XXXXXXX I suspect mine was a nickel allergy - discovered through band as well! I used to break out on my chin from the mouthpiece of my flute under my lower lip. Now that you mention it, my localized fingertip pain was probably from the keys of my flute!!7 hours ago · LikeUnlike.Pam Leibensperger He plays the trombone..and yes, the chin is broken out. I just commented on it yesterday. The slide on the trombone...the coating is wearing off.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can consult a dermatologist to rule out the allergic cause or contact dermatitis.
Meanwhile you can start giving him calcium supplements and a healthy nutritious diet with plenty of fluids.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.