Child has pain in ear. What is the safe dose of cephalexin 500mg to be given?

My son ear is hurting and we have a high deductible plan i have to find an aternative for his ear infection I have cephalexin 500mg i just need t know what is the right dosage for a 15 yr old 210 lbs male? I have 20 capsules.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Cephalexin 500mg can be used for the ear infection that your son is having. You need to give him one capsule every 6 hourly for 7-10 days to completely control the infection and to avoid any recurrence.
In addition to the medications, follow these lifestyle modifications:
1.) Keep the ear dry while it's healing, Place a silicone earplug or cotton ball coated with petroleum jelly in the ear when showering or bathing.
2.) Refrain from cleaning the ears.
3.) Avoid blowing the nose.
In case the pain persists or there is a high grade fever with a discharge from the ear then do consult an ENT specialist for a proper examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.