Child has neurocysticercosis. Is Epelive good for health or has side effect?

sir, My daughter is 9 year old and she is suffring from neurocysticercosis and her doctor given her epelive 250 in morning and epelive 500 mg in eening.
sir its good for her health or have any side effect in future
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later

From the information provided, it looks like your daughter is suffering from symptomatic seizures and Neurocysticercosis. Epilive is a good medicine for controlling the seizures. It does not have any major side effects like the other antiepileptic drugs.

However rarely it can cause behavioral problems in children. If the seizures are not controlled with Epilive, other drugs can be substitued grassdually after consultation with your Neurologist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist
Follow-up: Child has neurocysticercosis. Is Epelive good for health or has side effect? 15 hours later
Thanks sir,
hope T-SOLIUM tape worm is main problem for this. can we see with naged eyes?, and how can we remove it from our brain.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query,

Tenia Solium tape worm’s eggs hatch in the intestines and its larvae reaches the brain through the circulation.

Rarely can we see tape worms passed in the stools.

However the larva called as cysticerci is seen as a cyst in the brain on the scan. As brain is the dead end for the larvae, they die and the cyst gets converted to a calcified nodule. During this process brain tissue undergoes changes and seizures occur. Most recover well with medications for control of seizures.

Rarely if seizures persist after treatment, surgical removal of the calcification is indicated.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept this answer if you do not have any other queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist