Child has nausea, fever, vomiting, stomach ache, cold, dizziness. Snoring, overheating, no appetite. What is going on?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my son will be 4 in April. He had a cold that started in early february. the following weekend he complained of nausea and had a fever. He threw up twice that weekend with a cold yet. The next week he complained of stomach ache and threw up again. He still had a cold and he had a low grade fever. The following weekend we went swimming and he was so exhausted after 45 minutes that he was starting to get dizzy so we pulled him out of the pool and gave him lots of water. He was burning up. After about an hour or so, he wasnt so exhausted and fever went down.The next night we tried swimming again, same thing happened. This is March now,and he still gets occasional stomach aches, and wakes up warm.His cold went away about a week ago.when he runs around he gets very overheated. Also, he has started snoring at night and at nap time. He wakes up with fatigue and doesnt listen very good when he doesnt feel the best. Wondering if you have any ideas about what is going on? He has regular bowel movements daily and they look normal. he sometimes doesnt have an appetite. that is not normal because my child is 42 lbs and loves food. Today, he woke up from his nap and said he didnt want to go to the movie which he was very excited to go to. now he said his stomach hurts and wants to stay home. I pushed on his right side of his stomach and doesnt seem to be hurting him there. He also started to have potty accidents a few days this week. I checked his urine with those uti strips and the top part of the strip ( leukocytes) had purple specs on it and the nitrate was negative. It says on the back that it could be some infection, not necessarily a UTI. I am going to make an appt with my doc tomorrow, but wont be able to get into her for a few weeks. Just wanted to see if you have any ideas, or perhaps something I should tell my doctor to take a certain test?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

Intermittent stomach aches in children are not always due to an intestinal infection. These may be related to a food allergy or irritable bowel.

A mild persistent infection in the urine may also be responsible for the pain in the abdomen.

Investigations like urine test, stool test and an ultrasound of abdomen can help in detecting the exact cause.

A long term cough and cold episode can also cause a mild intestinal infection due to ingestion of the infected secretions by the child.

Systemic antibiotics may be needed for the treatment.

You can consult his pediatrician for appropriate tests and treatment.

Meanwhile keep him well hydrated and avoid any hot and spicy food.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.