Child has nasal stuffiness and cough. Had flu shot. Should I take him to a doctor?

My 4 year old son has had nasal stuffiness for the past month. Now he has a deep cough and a very hoarse voice. Had his flu shot ten days ago. His temp is at 99.8 and the daycare is asking me to pick him up. Should I see a doctor?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes...Get him consulted Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so uch for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what you son has been experiencing and this recent fevers. From the information you have provided he seems to have a predilection for allergies . this is upported by the lng standing symptoms of nasal stuffiness, wheeing while breathing and the father having seasonal allergies. All the support that he can easily develop conditions like asthma and allergic rhinitis which seem to be the case right now. The fever doesn't seem too high to warrant an immediate consultation for that right now. However, the persistence of symptoms and wheezing during breathing associated with hoarse cough warrant medical attention. These symptoms need to be managed appropriately else the child would go on to suffer from them for a very long time. Though all by themselves they don't constitute great danger, they help promote conditions that favour bacterial infections with ensuing serious complications like pneumonia and breathing difficulties. There is no point in going to the ER right now. Keep the child dressed lightly so as to reduce the body temperature. If the fever should rise up to reaches 38.5 degree celcius(101F), please give him an infant dose of tylenol to stop the fevers. Book an appointment with his pediatrician so that he can be fully examined and tests done, if needed, so as to establish a personalised plan to help him stay free of these symptoms and enjoy a normal live. I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. If you need clarifications, please feel free to ask me. I wish you well and your son a speedy resolution of symptoms. thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD