Child has moving white threads in bowel motions, not worms. Had reflux as a baby. Any ideas?

Toddler grandson is having non moving white threads constantly in his bowel motions - definitely not worms. He suffered extreme reflux as a baby. Any ideas? Otherwise normal in all other ways.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The white threads that your grandson has in his stools could be mucus threads or worms. Contrary to what most people believe, worms don’t always move in the stools and cannot be distinguished from mucus threads without a stool examination. Common worms seen in children include tapeworm, pinworm and roundworms. They need to be treated with anti-parasitic drugs.
The reflux that your grandson has is not related to this problem.
I would suggest that a stool examination be done for your grandson so that we know the cause. This will help us start the right treatment depending upon the cause.
If its worms, he would need antibiotics and if its mucus threads, then it could be normal or due to an intestinal infection.
The test will help diagnose the problem as well as reduce your apprehensions.
Hope this answer is helpful.
In case of any further query you can write back and I shall do my best to help you.
Warm regards
Follow-up: Child has moving white threads in bowel motions, not worms. Had reflux as a baby. Any ideas? 2 hours later
Thank you for your prompt reply. My daughter has taken a stool sample to the local Doctor (we live in a small coastal country town) and they have said it will probably take a week for the results to come back. Thank you for your time in this matter and I wouldn't hesitate to use this site again.

Kind Regards
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 4 hours later

I am happy that my answer was useful to you.

Please do not worry and wait for the report to come. I assure you that it should not be any thing major as your grandson does not have any symptom.

You may write back to me after the report if you wish to discuss further.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention, “Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware”

Thanks again. Wish your and your grandson good health.

Take care and Regards