Child has mouth, ear pain causing disturbed sleep. What could be causing this?

Feb 2013

My three and a half year old daughter has been complaining for mouth pain and also ear pain. It is enough to wake her up at night and cause her to cry. We gave her liquid childrens advil for now but are wondering what could have caused this. She did not indicate that she had fallen and bumped her mouth or anything of that sort. My first thoughts are maybe to go to the dentist first, but maybe it is an ear infection?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Usually local problems of mouth like ulcers, dental problems like caries, abscess, trauma in mouth will usually lead to mouth pain and if it is located near to ear this pain may radiate to ear which will be perceived as the ear pain.

In children around 3 years it is very difficult to locate the site of pain as they can't describe the type, exact location, and severity of the pain.

So child oral cavity has to be examined for any dental caries, ulcers, swellings, abscesses, and for any cuts due to trauma.

Ear infection may be a possibility but usually it will present with that ear pain and with fever and needs ear examination with an otoscope to look for any redness of tympanic membrane.

For pain you can continue Advil in prescribed dose till you see the doctor.

Therefore I advise you to consult the Pediatrician for the physical examination of your child, his oral cavity, throat, and ears to look for the cause for her pain.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.