Child has molluscum contagiosum, itching, spread to torso. Anything I can do?

(sorry my question XXXXXXX key does not work) ....anyways, my daughter was diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum. It started under her arm pit and she scratched and it spread to her torso. I was told that there is nothing to do and that it will go away on its own in about 9 months sometimes....I tell her not to scratch but it is hard to control and very hot in the summer, so I don`t want her in tight long sleeve shirts etc and a bunch of bandages for 9 months. Is there anything that I can do.... and also, every time I see a new one, does this mean the clock starts over and we have to wait another 9 months....or will the virus completely clear at that time.... Thanks!
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection of skin.

It can spread with touch that is skin to skin contact.

It can go away on its own in year or so.
But It is better to be treated than left alone.Becuase it can spread meanwhile.

Treatment can be in form of RF cautery or extraction with needle.

As the lesions are few its better to extract them with needle under local anesthesia.

Hope this helps.