Child has mild headache since months, has glasses. Could this be due to cylindrical power?

Feb 2013

My son in 8 yrs old . He has been complaining of mild , headache lasting for few secs or so for the last few months. We got his eye sight checked and doctor diagnosed mild cylinrical power in both eyes .
He start wearing glasses for last 6 months . He did not complain for any headache for almost 2 months now . But last 1 week the complains started recurring - mild headache , for hardly few secs 10 - 15 secs which then subsides on its own.
Is this due to cylindrcal power ?Anything else to check ?
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

There are many causes of headache in children like errors of refraction(power changes in vision), stress or tension headaches, migraine, and local causes like tooth and ear problems.

As your son is already having mild error of refraction and wearing glasses for it, first I advise you to check again for his vision as there is a chance of increasing the power which may lead to discomfort and headache.

If the cylindrical power is increased or abnormal, it should be corrected accordingly to get relief from the headache.

If there is no change in refraction of the eyes, the headache could be due to the other causes and needs evaluation by pediatrician.

Therefore I advise you to consult Eye specialist for his vision testing and if it is normal consult the pediatrician for the detailed review of headache history, physical examination of the child, followed by relevant investigations depending on clinical findings.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.