Child has lump on abdomen. Diagnosed with asthma, rhinitis and recurring pneumonia. Are these related?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 15 month old has a lump on her abdomen, it's about half way down right in the center. It's noticeable, but it isn't big by any means. She's been exposed to mold for a few months now and we just found out today. She's been diagnosed with asthma, rhinitis, and recurring pneumonia as well. Could the lump be associated with any of these or what else could it be? What problems can the mold exposure cause and how do I get her tested?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Regarding your first question the lump has no relation to the allergic condition caused by the mold.
If it soft and reducible, it may be a hernia in the abdominal wall.
If it is firm and tender it may be an absces.
There are some other benign conditions also like sebaceous cyst lipoma,etc
You have her examined by a pediatrician who can decide.

Regarding the molds exposure,

It can cause problems due to allergy like sneezing,cough ,eye and skin irritation,exacerbation of asthma and rarely toxic effects of mold toxin like fever and irritation of the airways like breathlessness.
There are no direct tests to detect it in the body but tests which can detect allergy to molds which are either skin tests for allergy or blood tests(RAST) for allergy to molds.

I am sure you got your home cleaned up properly to prevent

All the best
God bless
Dr Uma