Child has lump inside nostril. It is painless and is soft. Given otrivin drops while sleeping. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
My daughter 10 year old has a small lump size of peanut inside her left-nostril ( usually emits snoring noise from nostrils and breathes thru mouth while sleeping). Its painless when pressed and is soft. Last 4 to 5 days - she is given Otrivin-S drops in her both nostrils while sleeping as per Doctors prescription
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The lump inside the left nostril, may be a small cyst, foreign body, furuncle or even a normal inferior turbinate. If you can upload a close up image, it may help identify the type of lump. Is there any nose piercing done in the past? Any nasal symptoms such as frequent colds, bleeding and so on?

2. A small one sided lump is unlikely to cause snoring and mouth breathing unless there is nasal obstruction on the other side, such as a DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum), or more commonly hypertrophied Adenoid tissue behind the nose (she has a history of snoring since childhood).

3. Get an X-ray Skull lateral view to rule out Adenoid hypertrophy. Get a video-nasal endoscopy done (under local anesthesia) if she is co-operative.

4. You may follow up here with the close-up image / nasal endosocopy images , X-ray image for further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.