Child has lower back pain. What test should be done to diagnose the problem?

my 12 yr old daughter complains everyday of lower back pain. our gp has assessed her but really has no anwsers. should i just accept this and continue to manage with pain relief every day or push for futher tests and if so what tests are going to give us anwsers?? thankyou XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
Low backache in 12 year old is not very common. Being an uncommon age of presentation makes more sense to investigate her in detail. A MRI scan of whole spine and C-reactive protein, ESR, Anti Nuclear Antibody and Rheumatoid Factor are certain blood tests which should be done in such cases. If all these tests come out normal, then even psychological causes can be suspected as it is an unusual age of presentation. All said, coming to your question proper, Yes, she should be investigated in detail and you should push for these tests.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.