Child has low hemoglobin. Why would that happen?

My son, 9 years old, still looks good health, no headache, but I had just checked his hemoglobin..."low" (<8)..what's wrong with him?
Thank you, Doc..
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question here.

My immediate reaction to your question is that, either the test is wrong, or that you are not operating the testing kit correctly. A Hb of < 8, to be quite honest with you, would repersent something quite serious. But it is not consistant with how you describe your son -- a very active boy.

Now we have a dilemma. Is this a true and accurate reading or is it an artifact? I do not know and neither do you. You need to take your son to a doctor and have his hemoglobin checked properly and formally. If it is normal, as I suspect and hope that it will be, then that is that.

If however his Hb is under 8 then and explanation for this needs to be found quickly.

I hope that this was useful and that you will accept this answer.

Thank you.