Child has low grade fever, runny nose, sneezing. No strep or flu. Could this be whooping cough or typhoid fever?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My ten year old son has had a low grade fever for one week with runny nose sneezing doctor ruled out strep and the flu could this be whooping cough or typhoid fever
His throat is sore and cannot speak and has low energy
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A low grade fever with a runny nose is not likely to be due to typhoid fever or whooping cough. Typhoid fever is usually associated with a gradually rising temperature with pain in abdomen. Whooping cough is characterised by a high grade fever with a characteristic cough with a whoop.
It appears that your son could be having possible Viral fever which is supported by headache, feeling feverish, running nose, mild cough, feeling tired.

Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.

Your son can do steam inhalation for relief. Keep him well hydrated with plenty of warm fluids and especially fruit juices.

For running nose you may apply 2 drops of saline nasal drops to each nostril twice a day for relief.

Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.

Give him plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. You can also give him high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.

You can give him cough suppressants for mild cough. Doing gargles with warm saline will be helpful. Also if yellow colour sputum or shortness of breath develops then you may need to consult with your Doctor.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.