Child has low grade fever and rash. May be coccyx virus. Should he be checked again?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is said to have the coccyx virus. He had low grade fever last week when diagnosed,but since the cold and flu like symptoms have gone but he still has a rash. The rash seems to be getting worse. I was told to watch for pin bruising but there hasn't been any of that, but with seeing no improvement with the rash,but getting worse, I was wondering if he should be checked out again?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
I assume your child is suffering from a coxsackie virus infection as per the information provided by you.
Coxsackie viruses are common cause of illness in children and may cause flu like symptoms , fever , rash or other severe problems like hand foot mouth disease, herpangina, or organ specific inflammation.
In most of the cases the illness is mild and resolves on its own in 7-10 days.Also the rash may infact appear later and remain for longer .

So most probably if your child is otherwise symptomatically improved and has only generalized rash then you needn't worry and may wait for self resolution .
However if he develops any bleeding ( pin point petechiael bruises) or has mouth sores or other worsening mucosal lesions then you should get him reevaluated to rule out superadded bacterial infection or an allergic reaction.
As of now nothing seems much worrisome as its usual for a rash to peak before it finally starts resolving.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.