Child has loose motion and vomiting problem. Prescribed ondansetron and sorbitol solution. Safe?

General Surgeon
my son had loose motion and vomiting today age 10 years weight 26kgs. was advised ondansetron oral solution,
zinc acetate solution,and sorbitol solution. is it correct and what should be the right dosage.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

The most common reason of such symptoms is viral infection of the gastrointestinal tract. Especially if fever is present.
Ondansetron is an anti-vomiting medicine which should be used with vomiting caused by radiotherapy, chemotherapy or after surgery. In some cases it is also used for vomiting caused by gastrointestinal infections. It should be given 4mg twice a day. However you may find it ineffective.
Zinc acetate solution is used to treat liver disease (Wilsons disease) and I can not understand why have you been prescribed for vomiting and loose motion.
Sorbitol solution is most likely used in constipation so it seems pointless at your case.
I suggest you to:
- give a plenty of water
- Nifuroxazid 200mg 3x1
- Loperamid 2 mg twice a day
- Promethazini 15 mg twice a day (instead of Ondansetron)

If such treatment wont help in a day, you should get back to the doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.