Child has loose motion. Taking Enterogermina and Sporolac. Any further advice?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my 9 month son is having loose.motion since yesterday
Iam giving him, enterogermina and sporolac 2 times a day to him. The loose motions have not stopped till no
I am currently on a maldives island on vacation ,any further advice will be helpful. Thankz
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,

Most of the diarrhoeas in infants are of viral cause and should resolve in 3_5 days with supportive management like what you are giving.
Along with probiotics , the most important thing for faster recovery is adequate hydration by oral rehydration solution ( ors) to maintain fluid electrolyte balance.
Also zinc supplements or syrups in prescription doses usually 2.5 ml twice daily are sometimes advised for faster recovery.
But if the diarrhoea persists or child develops any new symptom like fever, pain, vomiting, blood in stools then please consult a doctor promptly for appropriate antibiotic therapy.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Child has loose motion. Taking Enterogermina and Sporolac. Any further advice? 43 minutes later
He also have chest congestion n little fever sometimes for which I am giving him adol and cheston. I have timinic too with me. Can u suggest me how I should deal with both at a time, chest congestion and loose stools. Can I give him cerelac ( mix fruits and mix vegetable ) apart from milk and ors. what diet is recommended .pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 29 minutes later
Ideally you need to consult a pediatrician to rule out any bacterial infection causing chest congestion and diarrhoea by examination and investigations like stool routine and culture test , complete blood counts, etc so that apropriate antibiotics can be started if required .
This is important to prevent complications like development of pneumonia, septicemia or dehydration in the child.
What you have is just symptomatic treatment, supportive medications which might help if only viral infection is the cause.So you can continue the cheston syrup or any mucolytics bronchodilator syrup containing bromhexine, terbutaline for congestion, acetaminophen for fever
and the probiotics for diarrhoea.
The diet recommended is plenty of home available fluids in addition to water, like vegetable soups, juices, milk,soft mashed rice pulses combination and oral rehydration solution.Breast feeding is helpful,sometimes if formula fed easily digestible preparations like nusobee formula soy based or casein based is used.
It's always better to use homemade fresh food than processed foods but if the child has been
regularly consuming it without any adverse effects you might continue the cerelac.

Frequent small feeds are preferred over large spaced out meals.
Please do consult a pediatrician as soon as feasible to assess clinically and have better relief.