Child has lipoma on lower back, fever, no cold or stomach sickness. Should I be concerned?

Should I be concerned if my 2yr 9mth old has a lipoma on his lower side/back (between two ribs)? Lately he has spiked fevers with no other symptoms- no cold, no stomach sickness- just a raging fever. The dr that seen it did no testing and just felt the lump and said it was lipoma- but didn't think babies/toddlers could get them.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later

Babies or toddlers can get lipomas. However, they can also have other forms of soft tissue swellings. It might be a prudent step to consult a pediatric surgeon before concluding that it is, in fact, a lipoma.

I don't think her other symptoms had anything to do with the back lump. If the lump had been responsible for it, the area of skin around it would have been inflamed - i.e., turned reddish and warm with pain on touching it.

So, if these things didn't happen, rest assured, the lump is not the cause of her fever. As to what did cause the fever - I don't know. I would need more history to discover that, and perhaps a good physical and some basic blood and urine tests.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more clarifications.

-Dr. Taher