Child has leg sores with pimple like head which break and get bigger. What could they be?

My 6 yrs old grandson has on the back of his leg sores the size of a dime with several small red sores with a pimple like head close by on one there is a black spot they break and then get larger.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the description, it seems your grand son might be having bacterial infection of skin which is quite common in his age known as impetigo. In this, red sores develop that break open, ooze and then get crusted . I would be in a better position to assist you, if you could upload an image of the concerned area.

In the interim, you may try hot water compresses over the area twice in a day and apply an antibiotic cream like fusidic acid or mupirocin.

Hoping to hear from you soon.