Child has jaw abnormality. Difficulty learning to read. History of bike accident. Surgery necessary?

Hi. I just learned that my 14 yr old son has a problem with his jaw. One side is longer than the other and his doctor said it could require surgery. He believes that one side may have been stunted in growth maybe by blunt force trama such as a bike accident he had a few summers ago. That is just a guess though. I am very worried about this. I was told that there are no doctors who will do this operation in Canada because its not covered by our health care system and I don't have the thousands of dollars to take him to Florida where it was suggested that I go. What will happen if he doesn't have the surgery? Also my son has a hard time learning to read. Not sure if there are any conections there or not. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
If there true discrepancy in growth of jaw bone then Your primary orthopaedician is correct in this respect. It is possibly due to injury to growth plate.
It needs to be evaluate in details. Maxillo-facial surgeons are experts in this conditions. I think you must check again for availability of them kn Canada and insurance related issues. If it is not possible then at have a advise from doctor in florida . Management can be decided on expert opinion.
Whether he will have problems in future life or not are only speculation which are quite disturbing. It is only depends on investigation and expert opinion. There is no harm in taking second opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Child has jaw abnormality. Difficulty learning to read. History of bike accident. Surgery necessary? 3 hours later
Thank you for your response. I would like to know what are some of the problems he would face (without having surgery) in the future if indeed his dentist is correct with the diagnosis. At what age will his facial bones stop growing? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 16 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
He will have asymmetry of face in future if diagnosis is correct. Facial bones will stop growing around 20 to 24 yr of age. Then there will be no increase in symptoms.

Hope this will solve your problem.