Child has jaundice, done blood test. Taken Ayurvedic medicine. Are test results normal?

Hi, My son(8 yrs old) was detected for Jaundice 5 days back. The blood test done on the 11th of Aug showed the Total Bilirubin value to be 5.10 and SGOT as 2257 and SGPT as 2743.
We have been giving him Ayurvedic medicines for the last 3 days. We got a blood and urine test done today and the values are as follows:
Bilirubin(Total)- serum - 11.7
Bilirubin (Direct) - serum - 8.2
Bilirubin(Indirect)- serum - 3.5
SGOT (Method :IFCC) - 335
SGPT (Method: IFCC MOD) -602

Kindly inform whether the above test results are normal or not, in Jaundice.
The course of medicines(Ayrudevic) is for another 4 days.
Can we continue with the Aryudevic medicine or is hospitalisation necessary.
Do inform incase any other details are required.

Await to hear from you soon.

Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I do not see any reason for worry.

Looking at the reports he is doing fine. This is going as per the disease Patten; liver enzymes are coming down and bilirubin still high.

What is important is not the reports, general condition of patient is of utmost importance. If you have not visited a doctor, do take him to doctor and get him examined.

Doctor after physical examination can judge the over all condition of patient.

In general

If he is eating well,
Having good intake
Passing urine properly
Looks normal in general look

Then he does not require hospitalization.

Jaundice normally takes about 3-6 weeks to fully recover in general.

Still, your doctor is the right person who can guide properly on this.

I hope this helps,

Wishing him speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Child has jaundice, done blood test. Taken Ayurvedic medicine. Are test results normal? 58 minutes later
Dear Dr. Pragnesh,

Thank you for the feedback.
My son is eating at regular intervals though the quantities of intake is much lower than he usually does.
We are giving him a lot of fluids (water, coconut water, juices etc) and his is urinating and passing motions. The urine colour is still XXXXXXX yellow.
We are avoiding giving him any oily or non-veg food and less of salt.
He look quite normal though he has become a bit weak.
We plan to continue with the Ayurdevic medicine for another two days, ie. Fri and Sat and then take a break on Sun and then get his blood and urine tested on Monday.
The SGPT and SGOT values have improved, but the bilirubin count has gone up. I suppose this is a regular pattern with Jaundice.. Pls advise.
Planning to show him to our Doctor tomorrow.

Do advise on the diet and any do or donts related to Jaundice.

Look forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks and regards,

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 10 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Yes, you are right, the blood reports are expected results and this is the natural course of illness that bilirubin rises and SGPT, SGOT goes down.

In general I do not see any reason to worry.

Give him home based light diet.
Ask him to drink plenty of liquids about 2 liters in a day, that makes roughly 8-10 glasses. You can give lemon water, juices,soups etc.

One more advice, do not go for frequent blood testing unless advise by your doctor. This is absolutely not required. I have written earlier also, reports are not only important; the most important part is general condition of patient.

Please keep in touch with your doctor at least once or twice in a week.

Other wise I do not see any reason for worry, you are doing fine.