Child has itchy chest, legs and stomach. Taking benadryl and claritin. Any alternate cure?

Jul 2012

Our English XXXXXXX 5 yrs. old, has a problem with itching. Every morning as soon as he wakes up, he is scratching with his hind paws his chest area, hind legs and stomach areas. We have changed his diet numerous times, including using the Science Diet of lamb & rice. He has been bathed with tangerine shampoo, oatmeal shampoo, and medicated shampoo by the groomer to no avail. We have given him Benedril, Claritan, and are now trying Aller-chlor which helped in the beginning, but not as much now. Yesterday we started with 6 tablets of Brewer's Yeast. He weighs 80 lbs. He drops large clumps of fur after scratching. Is there anything else we can do? We know he is miserable. We live in SW FL and he stays indoors most of the time. Also he has a licking problem, which gives him hot spots.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX,
I dont claim to be a Vet & am unclear if they do have a couple on this web site. I am a consultant dermatologist & deal with the homosapien species. However, this query was posted on my window/wall & as i did once have a cocker spaniel (albeit long ago), I empathise with your predicament & your pet's & hence the reply.
If my clinical hunch is right, it is very possible that your dog ails from Sacbies or mange. Please try applying a sustance called 5% Permethrin creme' rinse all over the trunk & torso & limbs..cover him from head to toe & leave it on his skin for a minimum of 30 mts to an hour..4-6 hrs if possible & then wash him off. You may repeat the excercise in a week.
Am hoping this will take care of his problem pronto & all will be well. If not, your best bet will be a good Vetenarian near you @ ground 0.
Good Luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD