Child has itchy anus, pink discharge. Given Aquaphor. Any suggestions?

General Surgeon
My 7 year old daughter has been experiencing a very itchy anus and when she wipes there is a light pink tinge, I have been putting Aquaphor on it but not sure if it is really helping......any suggestions?
Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Itchy anus can be caused by pinworms (enterobiasis), anus inflammation due to fissure or hemorrhoids. Pinworms itching occurs mostly in the night.
I suggest you to visit your doctor and have stool tests or adhesive tape test (which will pick up deposited eggs) performed first. Rectal examination should be also performed and if hemorrhoids are present, suppositories should be prescribed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Child has itchy anus, pink discharge. Given Aquaphor. Any suggestions? 49 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr. Stanko, I will act on this information right away. Have a great weekend.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
You are welcome. Hope your daughter will be fine.