Child has internal pain near belly button, nausea, feeling flushed

My daughter has XXXXXXX pain on the left side near her belly button. She says she feels like she's going to vomit, and she feels flushed.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later

I will be able to address this problem better if you can provide the following information:

1. Since how long has the pain been?
2. Has she passed stool? Or has loose stools?
3. Is her abdomen bloated?
4. Is she running fever?
5. Does she complaints of difficulty / pain / burning sensation while passing urine?
6. Does the pain worsen with cough?
7. Are her menstrual cycles normal and regular?

Hope you will provide these information’s as soon as possible.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Child has internal pain near belly button, nausea, feeling flushed 27 minutes later
Pain for about 1 & 1/2 hrs. Has subsided now.
Abdomen is not bloated; no fever.
Has not had a BM tonight.
Menstrual cycles cause painful cramping; usually regular. Recently gone on birth control to relieve cramps (about 4 months ago). This is her first day on Generes FE.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 39 minutes later

Thanks for providing additional details.

Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and reduced bowel movements are been reported with Generes FE in during the initial days of treatment. Many women get over this side effect gradually as they get used to it.

Though this is my first explanation for her complaints, I would like to rule out other possibilities such as intestinal cramps / colitis, obstruction or diverticulitis.

I would suggest you to observe her for a while and see if the symptoms improve. If pain recurs she needs to visit the ER. Careful abdominal examination, abdominal X-ray and ultrasound examination with or without colonoscopy is advised. Treatment which includes change of birth pills, pain relievers or surgery will be determined after the aforementioned tests.

In the meantime antispasmodic drugs such as meftal spas which is available over the counter at most regions can be tried. And so are warm compresses.

Hope I was able to provide you with some assistance. Let me know if you have any additional queries.

I wish her a good and speedy recovery.

Dr. Prasad