Child has increased leukocytes, stomach ache. Prescribed antibiotics for ear pain. What else should we do?

Question
mY gIRL cHILD OF 7 YEARS HAS SHOWN leukocyte (tlc) 0000
SHE WAS COMPLAINING OF STOMACH ACHE THREE WEEKS AGO AND THEN WE TOOK HER TO THE DOCTOR, THE DOCTOR GAVE HER MEDICINE HAND SAID SHE HAS INFECTION. ALMSOT ONE WEEK AGO SHE COMPLAINED GAIN OF LITTLE STOMACH ACHE AND BODY ACHE AND WE TOOK GAIN TO THE DOCTOR AND HE GAVE HER ANOTHER ANTIBIOTIC AS SHE WAS ALOS COMPLAINING OF SEVERE PAIN IN HER RIGHT EAR. IN THE MEAN TIME I GOT HET BLOOD TESTS DONE AND STOOL , URINE. IN HER BLOOD TEST IT SHOWED ONLY HIGH leukocyte (tlc) 0000. IT WAS BEFORE SHE STARTED ANOTHER ANTIBIOTIC FOR HER EAR.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD WE DO AND SHE IS OK BUT FEELS LITTLE PAIN IN HER EAR AGIN.
DO I NEED TO GO FOR MORE ADVANCED TESTS. WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO TO CHECK IF SHE IS ALRIGHT?
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

I am sorry to hear your daughter is ill. It seems she got infection of the ear. Her blood tests showed she got high white cell count (Leucocytosis) which is an indication of acute infection.

Children do get abdominal pain, if they get throat /ear infection. Have you received the results of her stool and urine culture yet? Please let me know the results. I hope that will be okay.

In the mean time please take her to an ENT specialist to check her ears. Make sure she completes the course of antibiotics. The ear infection can be treated as per the guidance of the ENT specialist and that should take care of luecocytosis.

Apart from the ENT consult I do not think any further investigations are necessary.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Kindest regards
Dr. SK Mukherjee