Child has hydrocephalus. Getting leg pain and walking difficulty. Required treatment?

my son is 6 and has hydrocephalus the last 8 weeks he has had lots of pain in legs and not been able to walk???
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Hydrocephalus in children can be associated with neurological symptoms like difficulty in walking, imbalance, inco-ordination and falls.

However, difficulty in walking could also be due to pain, which in turn could indicate a local problem with the joints also.

Since you have mentioned that these symptoms have been of recent onset, I would advise you to have a proper physical examination and further investigations, if necessary, in order to clearly ascertain the cause of your son's symptoms. Only if we are able to estabish a correct cause for his symptoms, then further treatment can be planned accordingly.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Follow-up: Child has hydrocephalus. Getting leg pain and walking difficulty. Required treatment? 13 hours later
My son does suffer` with poor balance and pain seems to be in foot and behind the knee. What do you mean by more local problems?? We do have a appointment coming up. he has never had reflexs in his knees. I'm just concerned.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 32 hours later
Hello again,

The poor balance and absence of reflexes are indicative of neurological complications of hydrocephalus. However, symptom of pain which you have described in the foot and back of the knee do not appear to be directly related to the hydrocephalus. That is why I had mentioned that we have to consider the possibility of other 'local' causes - and by that I mean problems in the bone / joint or adjoining muscles / ligaments.

Till you XXXXXXX the doctor, you can try simple remedial measures like hot fermentation, gentle massage, etc. It would also be a better idea to reassure him and encourage him to do some simple leg exercises, so as to avoid developing muscle stiffness due to prolonged immobilization.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar