Child has high alkaline phosphatase level and vitamin D deficiency. Is that normal?

Question
my 6 week old son has alkaline phosphatase level of 284. is that normal? i also have vitamin d deficiency
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 4 hours later

Thank you for posting in your query.

An Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) level of 284 is high.

High ALP levels are seen in:
1. Hepatic and biliary abnormalities like Biliary obstruction, Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, etc.
2. Bony abnormalities like Healing fracture, Hyperparathyroidism, Osteoblastic bone tumors, Osteomalacia, Paget's disease, Rickets, etc.
3. Cancer: Leukemia / Lymphoma

In your child's case as his ALP is raised and you have a Vitamin D deficiency, your child might be suffering from 'bony abnormalities'.

I encourage you to consult his pediatrician at the earliest so that we can diagnose the cause and start treatment accordingly. Blood tests to check his Calcium, Phosphorus, Vitamin D3 levels, Parathyroid hormone levels are entailed. I would also recommend a liver function test and a Ultrasound abdomen as well to rule out hepatic causes.

If deficiency is found he might need supplementation as breast milk alone does not provide all the requirements of Vitamin D and Calcium.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. I will be available for further questions too.

Dr Gowri

Follow-up: Child has high alkaline phosphatase level and vitamin D deficiency. Is that normal? 5 hours later
What is the normal level of alkaline phosphatase in babies, approximately. What is the cut off level for it be become a warning sign?

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 35 minutes later

Thank you for the follow up question.

The normal range of ALP in new born infants is 100-250.
Children tend to have a higher level as compared to adults especially during their growth spurts.

In your son's case, as you also have been diagnosed with Vitamin D3 deficiency, it would be worthwhile to get him assessed by a Pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr Gowri