Child has high ESR and platelet count. Is it something to worry about?

Hi. My 6.5 yrs son had a blodd test last week and the results came back with two high counts. ESR=68 and Plaetlet count=503. All other things are normal including Total white cell count=12.28 , Neutrophil=7.54 , Lymphocyte=3.89 , Monocyte=0.64 , Eosinophil=0.12 , Baspophil=0.09 and Haemoglobin=12.9 , RBC count=4.75 , Haematocrit=0.379 , MCV=79.8 , MCH=27.2 , MCHC=34 , Liver Serum albumin=47 , Serum total bilirubin level=4 , Serm alkaline phosphatase=185 , AST serum level=29 , and ALT/SGP serum level=10.

Are two high counts (ESR and Platelet) are something to worry about?
The resaon the doctor wanted the blood test was that one of his lymph nodes on the cervical region (right side on the neck) has become large (est 3cm) after he had a cold and infection a month and half ago. As his GP said in his report, that has been an upper respiratory tract infection which required antibiotics (2nd April).

According to his GP report the lymph node is mobile, not tender, with other palpable nodeson both sides.

He is generally well with no fever or any other syptoms though he has had allergy months before and being given Cetirizine tablets for that. We also noticed today that he is growing a new teeth at the back on the right lower jaw.
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Low platelet count below 30,000/ml is XXXXXXX the count you mentioned is slightly above the normal range and is no need to worry .Such readings can be seen in minor infections which corrects itself in few days without causing any trouble.

ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is a non specific test and is seen increased in numerous conditions specially inflammatory, infective and allergic.Since you child has history of two conditions amongst above the high ESR is not of serious concern.Once the child is completely cleared of the lymph node swelling, the molar eruption and the allergy ,the ESR would have reached normal.Then you can confirm it by repeating the test.

There is no need to worry or go for any further testing based on the above reports.He will be ok soon.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.