Child has hernia in belly button, fluid in testicles. Should I take him to doctor immediately?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi my 9 week old baby boy has a hernia in his belly button. he also has fluid in one ball sack but today it seems bigger and has a bruised look. he is also unsettled today not like him at all. should i take hgim to the doctors now or wait till our appointment tomorrow
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
I would suggest that you take your son to an ER so that he can be properly evaluated and potentially XXXXXXX conditions can be ruled out.
From your information it seems that your child has a congenital hydrocele.
It is a collection of fluid in the scrotal sac of male infants due to delayed or non closure of the layers surrounding the testis (male gonad/balls).
At present, a sudden increase in the scrotum and bruise like discolouration of scrotum might indicate bleeding around the testes which is caused by either a hematocele( bleeding in a pre-existing hydrocele), or due to strangulation and bleeding of the intra-abdominal hernia or less likely due to torsion of testis.
In any of the above, the next step is to get a clinical examination by your doctor and an ultrasound doppler to rule out any damage to the blood flow of testis.
A minor hematoma may resolve on its own whereas strangulated hernia may require emergency surgery. Since features of pain, discomfort, swelling, tenderness and discolouration can be present in all of the above conditions a thorough abdominal and genital examination and probably an ultrasound is required to differentiate and confirm the diagnosis.
So it is very important that you take your child for examination by a doctor as soon as feasible rather than waiting till tomorrow.
Though it’s more likely that he has a hematocele which is a common complication, but it’s better to confirm and be sure.
Hope I have answered your query.