Child has hemolytic anemia since birth. Done spenectomy. What could be the reason for low hemoglobin?

My son XXXXXXX XXXXXXX age 7 years is suffereing from hemolytic anemia since birth. His hemoglobin remains at 8 to 9 g/dL and sometimes require blood transfusion as well. We had shown him in highly reputed hospitals Like AIIMS, Sir XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Hospital and also in CMC Vellore , however, nothing is diaognised till date in last 7 years. Last year we had gone ahead with Spenectomy operation in Sir XXXXXXX XXXXXXX hospital and thereafter his Hemoglobin is stable at 10 g/dL and in last one year no requirement of blood transfusion as well. However, doctors have prescrived lifelong tabs to fight any infection ( Pencillin 200mg twice daily ). Pls suggest what could be the reason of low hemoglobin and how can it be improved to level of 13g/dL.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

Please double check if you did not miss some details, maybe an additional diagnosis. Why I am saying this? Penicillin can cause immune hemolysis and this is why normally penicillin should be discontinued in patients who develop hemolysis.

I suspect that we speak about autoimmune hemolytic anemia, because you had gone ahead with splenectomy operation, but then I understand even less why the doctors have prescribed lifelong Penicillin.

Please send me much more details, all medical reports you have and I am looking forward to try helping you more.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD