Child has heavy epicanthal folds. Will it diminish when bridge of nose grows?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi. My daughter has heavy epicanthal folds & I am told by her doctor that once the bridge of her nose grows in, they will diminish. When does that happen? She is 12 months.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query

Epicanthal folds are present to some degree in most infants and children during the first few years of life. These skin folds can create an illusion of esotropia (a type of squint wherein one or both eyes turns inward).

At this age, as you noticed, the bony part of the nose looks flat as it has not really developed well. Once the bridge of the nose grows, it will become normal. If you are still not convinced, you can mail us the images so that we can help you in a better way.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Child has heavy epicanthal folds. Will it diminish when bridge of nose grows? 3 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
I would love to send you an image but not sure how to do it....?

Hi

Thanks for writing back

You can email the images to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Child has heavy epicanthal folds. Will it diminish when bridge of nose grows? 18 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I had some problems down loading the pictures. If you have problems opening the files, please let me know & I’ll resend them. Attached are some recent pictures of my daughter. Please let me know what you think about her epicanthal folds.

Thank you, XXXXXXX Martins

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 51 minutes later
Hi

Welcome back

Thank you for posting the images. The images are very clear.

Do not worry! Your little XXXXXXX is perfectly normal. The inter-canthal distance will disappear later when the nasal bones start growing. With the enlargement of the nose even her facial appearance will change. Cheer up!

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Child has heavy epicanthal folds. Will it diminish when bridge of nose grows? 57 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX
Thanks for reviewing the photos. I have always been concerned about her epicanthal folds. If you google it, horrible things come up. I have brought my concerns to her pediatrician and he agreed that her folds can make her appear to have the "down syndrome" eyes, but only from certain angles. Some times she has "those eyes" and sometimes not at all. He checked her & she has no other markers for DS. We even went so far to get bloodwork done and it came back normal. Her pediatrician did say that her nose bridge will grow & the folds should go away. Just wondering if the nose bridge grows during the toddler years or beyond the toddler years...
Respectfully, XXXXXXX artins

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 26 minutes later
Hi

Welcome back

Do not worry! I can assure you she is a perfect kid without any abnormalities. Such are the characteristic features of Down's syndrome that if we see a child with Down's syndrome we can immediately identify without a second thought.

Good Luck

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Child has heavy epicanthal folds. Will it diminish when bridge of nose grows? 1 hour later
Thank you!!!!

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

God bless you all

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.