Child has had loose motions after eating anything. What can be done?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My 15 month son has had loose motions since last 10 days. He passes stools the moment he eats anything. Even soup. Stools are not very watery. But thinner than usual. He is active and no fever
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 3 hours later
Hello Parent
Your baby is having frequent motion following feeds then you must get his Stool examination done both for routine exam and examination for reducing sugars.
It is possible that he is having secondary Lactose intolerance and needs to curtail sweet items in food containing lactose sugar.possibly salty porridge food preparations are better options.You must give rice and dal or khichiri .Lactobacillus is good and you must continue to give.Antidiarrheals like racecadotril are good and effective. Zinc with ors is having good advantage to prevent diarrhoea and dehydration as per WHO recommandation .A change in diet specially milk and milk products will give relief .Maintain good hygiene and give small frequent diet.
With these measures your baby is going to have normal motions
All the best and take care.

Follow-up: Child has had loose motions after eating anything. What can be done? 46 hours later
thank you doctor. we had got stool examinatio done and evrything was normal. His diet includes khichdi/daliya in morning, then has some milk and sleeps. In the faernoon he again has khichdi/daliya around 2pm. At 5 he has some soup/dal pani/banana. At 6 he hasmilk. At 8:30 he has khichdi/daliya and then befor sleeping he has milk
We are not giving much sugar to him (no sugar in milk either). Also at present since he has loose motions the daliya i giv is salted with some dal and a veggie in it. When there are no loose motions i alternate sweet milk dalya and salted dal daliya
I am also givng BC21 (homeopaty) 2 tablet 2 times a day

Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 46 minutes later
Thank you for follow up updates.
I am happy that nothing is abnormal in reports and you are giving absolutely right kind of diet. Your baby is going to improve and gain weight in due course of time.
So continue to give recommended diet and take care of hygiene.

All the best and take care.

Follow-up: Child has had loose motions after eating anything. What can be done? 21 hours later
Doctor then should i just wait and things will improve automatically.
Also please suggest for his age what is the correct weight
He was born on 1st March 2012 and birth weight was 3.74 Kgs

Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 2 hours later
Your baby is 15 months and his expected weight is 10.5 kg and in my opinion your giving good diet and baby is gaining wt and health.
With these steps as suggested earlier you continue to take care and do not worry .
I am sure you are having happier days ahead.
Good luck and bye.Thanks for asking questions.

Follow-up: Child has had loose motions after eating anything. What can be done? 45 hours later
Thank you doctor fr your insights

Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 15 hours later
You are always welcome and ask any question to me regarding child health issues. If you liked our service, tell your relatives and friend regarding www.healthcare WWW.WWWW.WW

Thank you.