Child has frequent cold and flu, pneumonia, chest congestion. Crocin, recofast and medication given. X-ray and blood test done. Is the treatment right?

ENT Specialist
Question

My daughter is 3 yrs old. She always has cold n flu once in every 2-3 weeks accompanied by fever too. Three months back she had pneumonia as well. After that, her cold was always there.she would get fever often. I would treat her with crocin and some cold medicine like Recofast.But 2 weeks back, she had fever again .There was lot of phlem n congestion in the chest too. So I took her to a paediatrician and she suggested me to take X-Ray of the nose n throat and did blood tests to detect any allergies. The Blood report came normal without any allergies, however the Eosinophil count was more(7), she had mild eosinophilia. The Doc gave her these medication for 10 days: Banocide, Refzil O(Anti Biotic), Relent and Ambrolyte-S(Expectorant) .
She completed the 10 day course, and I could see that the child was much better i.e. she had appetite for food, not much chest congestion etc. I just met the doctor with the X-RAY report(taken before medication), the report said sinus detected in one of the sides(not exactly sure of the medical term).
The doc advised me that the kid is having pus kind of infection in her nose and told to repeat the above medication for 10 more days and then bring the child for follow up checkup...
I dont have much idea about these medication, I want to know if the treatment is going the right way, please answer my queries, thanks--- XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Adenoid hypertrohpy is seen in all children between the ages of 3 and 7 years. After this age, the adenoid tissue regresses and disappears by the age of 12 -15 years in 95% people. This is probably the cause of her sinusitis. This sinusitis may rarely be due to a deviated nasal septum. However it will respond to medication.

2. Does she snore at night during sleep or have mouth breathing?

3. Her medication is fine. Further medication consists of anti allergics, mucolytics, steroid nasal sprays and supervised steam inhalation, sometimes for three to six months. This usually reduces the adenoid mass and improves symptoms in most children, thereby helping to avoid adenoidectomy operations. Sinuses should ideally not be operated upon before the age of 15 to 17 years (during the growth phase of the face). Medication should always be taken under supervision of your doctor. Discontinue steroid sprays when there is active infection or fever.

4. It is advisable to get a pus culture and antibiotic sensitivity from the nose. Sometimes the pus is allergic or fungal (may not respond to antibiotics).

5. You may share the X-ray images here for an accurate evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to assist you further.

Follow-up: Child has frequent cold and flu, pneumonia, chest congestion. Crocin, recofast and medication given. X-ray and blood test done. Is the treatment right? 38 hours later
Thanks for your response Dr XXXXXXX Bhatti...I was relieved and glad that the treatment is going the right way. I've attached the X-ray report.
About snoring or breathing through mouth during night times, she does not do that...
Please advise after referring the report if sinus medication is necessary...

--Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. As per her report, there is no significant adenoid hypertrophy. There is maxillary sinusitis R > L. Right sinus is fully opacified (blocked). There is some mucosal thickening in the left maxillary sinus. There is no mention about the nasal septum.

2. I was expecting the X-ray images (not the reports), if possible.

3. She should be given aggressive medical treatment as the right maxillary sinus is full and appears blocked. Mucosal thickening in the left maxillary sinus signifies long standing disease. Nasal decongestant drops should be given (not more than two weeks) .

6. After this acute sinusitis has settled, she may be given a steroid nasal spray such as Osonase and an anti allergic mucolytic for three months (tapering). Supervised steam inhalation will help reverse the mucosal thickening.

5. You should get a follow up X-ray of the sinuses after the treatment. She will respond well to medical treatment. Surgery for drainage of the blocked right maxillary sinus is a late option.