Child has fracture of occipital bone. What are the risks of flying?

Neurologist, Surgical
My 6 year old son sustained a 4 inch linear skull fracture of his occipital bone less than a week ago. We are supposed to fly to Hawaii in 3 days. It is a 7 hour flight. What are the risks? Should we postpone our vacation? Also, since boys will be boys, is it recommended that he attend school and risk falling/being accidentally pushed? Or would it be best for him to stay at home until his fracture has healed? Should he be wearing a protective helmet? We don't have a neuro appt for a few weeks.

Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 13 hours later

I have gone through in detail of your son's history - 6 year old with head injury with occipital fracture needs proper supervision & bed rest, even if the scan is negative for XXXXXXX injury as an associated concussion injury cannot be ruled out yet.

In these circumstances it is advisable to avoid long distance travel for say a month. In addition to that continue with some analgesic (pain killer) & antiemetics (for vomiting) for about two weeks.

He can attend school may be after 2 weeks post injury if he is comfortable and without symptoms. There is no need to wait till fracture heals. And there is also no need to use helmets. He can be a normal child with additional monitoring.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me anytime should you have further queries.

Best wishes for the speedy recovery of your son.

Dr, Praveen k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon