Child has flat foot, falls down frequently, has pain in feet. Can we do anything apart from proper shoes?

My daughter do have a flat foot. Her age is 5 Years 6 months, height: 4 feet & weight: 25 kg approx. She falls down very frequently & feels pain in both her feet. We came to know about it around 18 months back & asked her to wear Reebok / Adidas shoes which have a proper shape inside the shoes, on the advice of Dr. However it's not recovered fully. Can we do anything other than this?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 3 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Your daughter has flat foot and also complains of pain. You have provided her with Adidas shoes for this.

Treatment for flatfoot depends on the type of deformity she has, it can be flexible, non flexible .
If your child has normal flexible flatfoot that doesn’t hurt, we recommend no treatment. Your child should wear regular shoes and be treated no differently than if their feet had arches.

But since your child has general aching pain in the feet or legs after activities, you can use simple and inexpensive over-the-counter cushioned arch support or a running shoe with a built-in arch support.These shoes will be specially designed for your child and will be provided by the Orthopedician.

Sometimes, flexible flatfoot with a short Achilles tendon, attempts may be made to stretch the Achilles tendon. Certain exercises for this will be taught to the mother to be done on the child daily.

In rare cases, flatfoot is not helped by more conservative treatment and children need surgery to relieve their pain.

In almost all cases that require surgery, the child should be at least 8 years old and their Achilles tendon will be short. Surgery involves lengthening the short Achilles tendon as well as correcting the flatfoot deformity. This procedure is called Calcaneal Lengthening Osteotomy.

You will need to XXXXXXX a Orthopedician, who can diagnose it and give you the right treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.