Child has flank pain, blood in urine, nausea, fatigue, headache. Bloodwork, ultrasound normal

Hi, my 17 year old daughter had dull right flank pain for 2 months. She had tea colored blood in her urine for about 3 days about a month ago. She now has had nausea, fatigue, and a headache off and on for two weeks. She has had blood work and urine analysis and an ultra sound of her kidneys and all came back fine. Why does she feel so sick?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Dull flank pain with tea coloured urine can be a feature of acute nephritis, where the kidney is affected and causes some 'lysed' blood cells to come into the urine. Kidney stone can also present in a similar way and rarely other causes could include any episode of hemolysis.

General ill health in the form of nausea and fatigue could be signs of the same disease (acute nephritis).

To differentiate the above possibilities we can run investigations like complete hemogram, platelet count, serum creatinine, urine Routine and ultrasound. I see that the ultrasound scan was normal. It would be better if you could provide the results of the above tests too.

Also we need to give importance to certain facts like:
1. was there any fever or sore throat during or preceding the illness,
2. Any history of burning sensation in urine, swelling in feet and legs, any decrease in urine output,
3. Laboratory reports (even though normal) especially serum creatinine value
4. Blood pressure
5. Any visual disturbance

Please let me know as much information as possible so that I can provide you the most likely explanation for her clinical condition.

Awaiting your reply