Child has fever with pain under rib cage, No cough. Taken aspirin and hot tea. Any help?

My nephew had a 102 degree fever last night with pain under his left rib cage - no cough. No insurance, so we're trying to decide what to do. Today his fever was 99.8 with aspirin and hot tea. Any help?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 10 hours later

In this scenario, I would advise you to take the following steps
1.     Give him Tablet Tylenol 650 mg every 4-6 hours till his fever gets better.
2.     Hot fomentation can be done to relieve the pain. Hot compresses can be applied locally at the site of pain.
3.     Give him sufficient fluids which would help bring down the temperature and help replace the fluid loss.
4.     Wet sponging can be done to bring down the temperature.

However, as I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1.     Has he hurt himself near his left rib cage?
2.     Is the pain also associated with a difficulty in breathing?
3.     Is his fever associated with nausea, abdominal pain or rashes?

Further, if the pain persists, you will need to take him to his treating physician who can evaluate him further and prescribe appropriate therapy. A chest Xray may also be needed in this scenario.

If his fever does not reduce in a week he will need to do blood tests like:
1. Haemoglobin, TLC (total leukocyte count), DLC(differential leukocyte count),ESR(Erythrocyte sedimentation rate)
2. Widal test

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.