Child has fever with hot body, cold feet and hands. On amoxicillin. Looking for suggestion

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daugther is sick
She has fever for 3 days
I worry because her body is jot but her hand's and feet is cool
Wi going to the hospital they gift her amoxicillin
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
The toe- core temperature gap is a sign of significant infection causing sepsis or shock.On examination it is perceived as cold extremities along with central body fever.
When our body is dealing with a significant infection or sepsis the blood supply to the vital organs increases and to less important structures like skin and extremities decreases this causes a difference between their temperatures ( tummy - toe difference). In critically ill patients this can be an early sign of shock and such patients need to be monitored and treated accordingly in a hospital .
In your case, your daughter does seem to be having a bacterial infection and hence started on antibiotics ( amoxicillin ). The fever is likely to reduce in a couple of days ( after the initiation of antibiotics) . In case she has any other symptoms like dehydration ( decreased urination), refusal to feed, disorientation etc then it's best to get her admitted in the hospital setup.If she is clinically stable ( assuming doctors have ruled out shock) then there is no reason to worry.
Her body is fighting off an infection and thus the fever and temperature changes.
Meanwhile the most important thing you can do is to keep her well hydrated with plenty of fluids ( oral rehydration solution ) which will help her recover faster.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Child has fever with hot body, cold feet and hands. On amoxicillin. Looking for suggestion 27 minutes later
Thank for you answer
I call her pediatrician they put appoinment for tomorrow afternoon
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes, it is reassuring to get her evaluated by her pediatrician .
However I hope with adequate hydration, analgesics ( acetaminophen ), amoxicillin she should recover soon.
Hope she has a speedy recovery.