Child has fever, white patches all over tonsils. Neck pain after taking zithromax. Effective cure?

My son has had fever for five days and fever has gotten worse.. 103. He was taken to MD on Wed. They did CBC and immunoassy which were ok. Also strep test was negative. On Fri tonsils were worse with white patches ALL over tonsils and throat and fever of 103. We went back to MD and got Zithromax for 5 days. He is weak and shaky with very poor appetite but is taking fluids which i push on him. Also he is lethargic. He vomited small ammt this morning, This is day 2 of antibiotic. He's 5 and has NEVER been this sick before. Should I be seeing more improvement? This started with complaints of neck pain on Sunday night.. I hate to see him suffering. I've given lukewarm baths and warm salt water gargles to him. Also alternating Tylenol and Advil.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand your concern. It appears as though your doctor is treating your son for bacterial tonsillitis. The causes for white patches on tonsils are seen on the following conditions:
-Tonsillitis (the correct treatment for which is azithromycin; i.e. zithromax 250 mg)
-Oral thrush (fungal infection in which white patches are seen on the tonsils, this condition will not be treated with antibiotics)
-Tonsil stones (the debris left from this condition causes the appearance of white patches on the tonsils)
-Mononucleosis (is a viral condition causes white patches on the tonsils. Requires treatment with anti-viral medication)
-Strep throat (will also be treated with antibiotic therapy)

Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor and once a diagnosis is reached with clinical and laboratory confirmation, then your child will surely improve with the right therapy.

As your child is already on antibiotic therapy for 2 days, he should be showing signs of improvement by the second or third day of antibiotic therapy. So please XXXXXXX your doctor if he does not show any improvement within another 24 hours. In the meantime, you could also add a disinfectant solution to your regimen and pain management medication which will get absorbed directly into the throat and provide immediate relief.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.