Child has fever, red and small eye. Diagnosed with virus infection. What could be causing this?

Question
Hi, my 5year old daughter has had very high temperature for 6 days now. She vomited beginning of the illness, but that has completely stopped now, but continues to be very poorly. Also since then, one of her eyes are not normal as its smaller than the other and seems red and sore.
I had a phone call from the primary school to come and get her at once 6 days ago, when we arrived home she was not corresponding to me or making any eye-contact. I took her to the doctors, and they said she had a virus. I am getting very concerned about her, should i take her to the hospital to be checked out. Any ideas what is wrong with her please? Thankyou
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have a feeling that your daughter had an episode of seizure or loss of consciousness initially.
Does she have febrile seizures (does she have seizures whenever she has fever) or is she a known case of epilepsy?

Another important problem of concern is fever continuing for 6 days. You are also mentioning that she feels sick.

These factors (fever for 6 days, loss of consciousness/seizure, sick child) indicate to me that she requires medical attention.
She requires to be investigated for the cause of the fever. So request you to take her to the hospital.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Child has fever, red and small eye. Diagnosed with virus infection. What could be causing this? 21 hours later
Thankyou for your answer. She seems to be in better spirits today and eating as she normally does, however she still has had a mild temperature this afternoon, is it still crucial for me to take her, to make sure there is no underlying problems etc..
Thankyou for your support.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I think it is important to see the doctor once because of the history you gave.

(The history 6 days before is suggestive of seizure and you should see the doctor regarding that)

Hope this helps.