Ask a Urologist   »  

Child has fever, passing particle in urine. Tested negative for kidney stone. Prognosis?

General Surgeon
My niece has been an unknown conditon where she is passing particles in her urine accompaniedd by spiked fevers. She has been tested for kidney stones, which was negative, and now they are doing exploratory surgery. She is only 5 years old and very healthy prior to this. She is in alot of pain and has been very lethargic which is highly unlike her.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
If the passage of particles associated with fever,it could be like to know few details:
1.what was the urine examination report?
2.What is the clinical diagnosis of your doctor?
3.what is the xray abdomen, ultrasound abdomen and Intravenous pyelogram report?
4.what is the cystoscope report?
Pleads give her plenty of fluids.
Give her antibiotic Norfloxacin
If you come back with above reports,I will clarify further.
Follow-up: Child has fever, passing particle in urine. Tested negative for kidney stone. Prognosis? 13 hours later
She has had almost 100 uranalysis done, each time the results are different. Sometimes the urinalyisis states high leukocytes, sometimes it is high RBC, sometimes it is high WBC -- but everytime it is abnormal and different from the last report. She has been passing particles in her urine that are a red or black sand like consistency -- sometimes as big as a grain of rice. This sand-like particles sometimes has tissue and sometimes bloody tissue. When she urinates it is cloudy and if the urine is allowed to settle it has a yellow/orange color. She was on Cephedra and Cephlex, but she had a bad reaction to the Cephedra (her WBC count in her bone marrow dropped), so now she is only on Cephlex. There is no clinical diagnosis, she has been seeing doctors for almost a year and no one knows what is wrong. She has a stone analysis done on the particles in the urine and it came back negative as stones. She has a cytoscope scheduled for the 29th of this month, but they are considering a urodynamic because of the extreme situation. She is only 5 years old and they say it is very uncommon for someone this young to have the issues she is having. Her symptoms are: Chronic kindey infections, fevers, particles in urine, blood in urine, and lethargic. Any information you can give us would be appreciated! Thank you so much for taking the time to help my family!
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 hours later
I have seen many cases of renal stones.
But,passing particles is unusual.
As they are not stones,they could be particles which are formed due to shed epithelium of bladder.
Parasitic infestation has to ruled out.
Next time,please send the particles for histopathological examination.
Please inform the cystoscopy report.
Wish her good health