Child has fever, headache, red and inflamed gums, painful to brush teeth, no sore throat, canker sores in mouth.

Hi. My 9 year old has had a fever and headache for 4 days. Yesterday I noticed that his gums had become red and inflamed and today they are even worse. They hurt very badly when he brushes his teeth. He has no sore throat but he does have several canker sores in his mouth.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

From your description the most likely possibility is Gingivostomatitis.

It is an inflammation of the oral mucosa and gingiva common in young children and has prodromal symptoms (fever, malaise, irritability, headache, vomiting, lymphadenopathy) 3-4 days prior to local lesions after which lesions appear inside the mouth forming small vesicles which rupture quickly, resulting in shallow, round, discrete ulcers with erythematous halo.

In gingivostomatitis, symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the mouth. Use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or drink them through a straw so they don't irritate the mouth. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fuits.

Topical ointments which can be used are numbing ointments, anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of steroids and vitamin supplements. Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen also help. But all these medicines are available under prescription and should be taken under a doctor’s guidance.

Consulting a dentist will be helpful.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.