Child has fever, diarrhea. Given tylenol. Not cured. What medication should be given?

my son 10 has been sick now for 3 days. He has had a fever of around 100 but has come and gone with tylenol. He has not eaten anything and has very bad diarrhea.(been giving him pedialite). He is too weak to get up to even use the bathroom (started that last night) what can I do? My daughter was also sick yesterday throwing up and diarrhea but is all better today
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I am sorry to know that your son is suffering a lot.
Now, he is suffering from acute gastroenteritis.

Give him oral rehydration solution or pedialite after each loose motion. Supply other normal food along with ORS. It is main task to correction of dehydration.

Examine him for any sign of severe dehydration.

The common signs are shrunken eyeball, dry tongue, less urine output etc.

If any sign of severe dehydration present, then go to emergency room for better management with intravenous fluids.

Hope, I have been some help of your query.

Please write if you have any doubt.