Child has fever, cough, harsh breathing and dirt in eyes. Had crocin syrup. Why is she urinating frequently in drops?

Hi Doctor, let me be more elobarate:-
1. My 3 year daughter has developed fever around 13-Feb and we gave Crocin syrup to her . She will be fine 2 hrs after the crocin syrup administration and the fever never returned till next day evening.She had a mild cough and harsh breathing at nights as well. This happend till 15-Feb and on 14th Morning we saw lot of poop in her eyes( on 12th we took our daughter in a auto , the air was little cold in Bangalore)
2. So we went to our doctor on 16-Feb and explained him about all the symptoms. So doctor adviced us to continue with Crocin Syrup and gave Allerid syrup. She developed midnight or early morning cough suddenly while her sleep and it lasts for maximum 2 hours. On 21-Feb I again called our doctor and said her fever was not coming again but her cough is of a major concern and it was turning out to be a wet cough. He prescribed Bricarex 2.5ml 3 days. But even after administring Bricarex for 2 times, the situation was not improving.
3. So we thought of contacting a Homeo doctor. And they prescribed a allergy and Bronchodial Astham medicines. We gave these medicines for 2 nights(but stopped Bricarex) and the situtaion seems to be improving in the way my daughter seems to be perfectly fine in the day time and in the middle of the night she coughs as usual for maximum of 2 hrs. But now she has got lot of phlegm in the morning time and from afternoon she will be absolutely fine.
4. The most worrying part is she started urinating so frequently since yesterday night. Sometimes she goes to bathroom and comeback without peeing. She does it almost every 30mins.So I am really worried what could be the cause. Some times she pees in Drops.
5. Kindly advice me what I should do now. Should I consult a Homeo doctor or Allopathic doctor and I am really confused.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your daughter seems to have had an episode of acute bronchitis.

2. In children such episodes are mostly viral in nature and subside by itself in 1 to two weeks. If there is evidence of infection (like expectoration as is present in her case) then a 7 to 10 days course of antibiotics is required. If such episodes are recurrent and/or associated with wheezing episodes after 2 years of age then the possibility of child hood asthma should be considered. For this serum IgE levels (Immunoglobulin E) should be done and if found to be raised, then it supports the diagnosis of childhood asthma.

3. If childhood asthma is deemed to be present then inhalers via spacer and a baby mask are required to be given along with oral medicines.

4. I cannot support the continuation of homepathic medications but can advise you to please consult a pediatrician and also take an expert opinion of a pulmonologist.

5. The frequent urination since yesterday night could be due to side effects of homeopathic medicines or a urinary infection. Please get her urine examined for routine and microscopy. Please again get her examined by a pediatrician for this.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra