Child has fever, cough, cold, headache. Given Wokacef and Augmenting. Malaria negative

My son is 15 yrs old....having fever (with a gap of 5 days) thrice during last 1 month..He is having cough/cold and headache. Initially he was given Wokacef for 5 days and he was without fever for last few days. Again fever started last week, all test done MP-Negative, Malaria antigen negative, ESR -100,WBC-0000 , slight haziness in chest xray PA left side and Left sinus congestion in water view x XXXXXXX ...Dr advised AUGMENTIN 625 DUO and after taking the same for last 3 days , fever started reducing since yesterday...Need your advice
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

From history and his blood report, it seems that your son might be having pneumonia, as WBC is high and haziness in the lungs on left side.

Augmentin 625 is good antibiotic, please continue for 4-5 days more. It is advisable to stick to the current treatment plan.

Give cough suppressant syrup 2-3 times a day. Give light diet. Avoid fried, junk food and cold drinks.
For sinus congestion same antibiotic will work. Give hot water steam inhalation with Vicks or balm.
Give him complete rest.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please ask. I will be happy to help.

Wish your son speedy recovery.